To fight for our vaping rights, let's clarify the two main differences between vaping and smoking.
1. Firstly, vaping produces vapour. Unlike the traditional cigarette, we are not inhaling the smoke and chemicals from burning it. With vaping, no burning is taking place.
2. Eliquids contain 4 ingredients: Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), Flavour and Nicotine*.
*Almost all ejuices have the option of no nicotine. Or you can select the level of nicotine according to your preference.
Tobacco Cigarettes contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. This includes nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT.
How will the Tobacco Amendment Bill affect the vaping community?
The definition of smoke will be changed to include "use an e-cigarette to generate or release an aerosol or vapour." This basically means that e-cigarettes will be categorised as a tobacco product. When this happens:
- Vapers will be forced to vape in only smoking designated areas
- Vapers will not be able to purchase any vape products online
- Business owners will not be able to advertise and display any vape products in their retail stores
- No vape store can offer sample e-juices or any sample vape products
- No giveaways or competitions related to vaping can take place
This is just the beginning. If we don't fight for our rights, we face the possible threat of having e-cigarettes banned altogether.
What can we do?
- On Tuesday the 16th of August, there is a protest against the Amended Tobacco Bill outside the Victorian Parliament house - 1 Spring St, Melbourne VICTORIA.
- Email your personal experience with vaping and express your concerns around the Amended Tobacco Bill and how it will affect you. A list of politician emails can be obtained from this link.
- The NNA is a not for profit organisation working towards improving public health through a greater understanding of risk-reduced nicotine products and their uses. Go to http://www.nnalliance.org.au/ and sign-up as a supporter.
- Obtain the latest news and studies from https://notsmoking.org.au and share how the vape products are a safer alternative to tobacco cigarettes.
- Join the Vapers vs Policy group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/966854160097604/ and keep up to date.