In the vaping world, you’ll hear a lot about mouth-to-lung inhalation (MTL) and direct-to-lung inhalation (DTL). What does MLT or DTL actually mean?
What does MTL or Mouth to Lung Inhale mean?
Mouth-to-Lung (MTL/ML)means that you inhale by first filling your mouth with vapor and then inhaling further into the lungs.
- The same way that you would puff on a cigarette
- Consider drinking your beer through a straw rather than chugging it
What is DTL or Direct to Lung Inhalation?
Direct lung inhale (DLI), Direct to Lung, Direct Lung: Inhaling directly to the lungs.
- Imagine sucking the air out of a balloon.
- Inhaling directly from the lungs instead of through your mouth is another way to think about this.
- It is often compared to the way you would hit a bong or hookah
Why Does MTL or DTL Vaping Matter?
Different methods result in other experiences. It is important to know that many factors will influence the choice of one way over another.
- How to interface with your device
- Airflow setting
- Coil Type
- Ejuice VG/PG Ratio
- Wattage of battery
It would be not very sensible to teach someone how to inhale than to show them how to breathe. Understanding the differences between MTL and DTL vape can help you decide what type of vape device to choose, as well as which vape juices you enjoy.
The MTL Vape Experience
MTL vapes are recommended for smokers as they simulate the sensation of smoking. All vaping devices used to be MTL before sub-ohm vaping was popular. This allowed for a smoother transition from smoking to vaping.
MTL Vaping has some common characteristics:
- Low Wattage devices: less than 20 watts and not intended for cloud chasing. This means that it will not produce a lot of clouds.
- Ultraportable Devices Due to the smaller battery size, these devices are more pocket-friendly than sub-ohm products and offer fewer features like variable wattage control or temperature control.
- Tighter Drawing: The mouthpiece is narrow, and the faster it is drawn, the closer the device is to the mouth-to-lung device
- High resistance coils: Coils greater than 1.0 Ohm. High-resistance coils will produce less vapor.
- High Nicotine Concentration: Due to the lack of vapor, high nicotine concentrations, such as nicotine salts, are more effective.
- Less throat Hit: A smaller cloud equals a less powerful throat hit. This makes it easier to vape in a chain.
- More flavor: MTL vapor has a high level of flavor intensity because the vapor stays in your mouth for a longer period.
Note: throat hits can be adjusted using nicotine strength, PG ratio, and wattage/temperature.
Note: Ejuice flavor quality can be adjusted by adjusting wattage/temperature, changing coil types, increasing the PG ratio, and altering the e-juice PG ratio.
MTL VAPING DEVICE EXAMPLES
You can find out more about each device in our article on vapes!
- Open pod systems
- Closed pod systems
The DTL INHALE Experience
DTL vape devices have become a popular choice among vapers due to the mainstream adoption of sub-ohm vaping. Mods are known for their power and advanced personalization features.
DTL vaping has some common characteristics:
- High Wattage devices: More power means more cloud production, which leads to higher consumption of e-liquid. Use a higher VG ratio to get a smoother throat hit.
- Larger devices: DTL devices have a larger battery size compared to MTL vapes.
- Sub-ohm coils Coils less than 1.0 Ohm. Coils with lower resistance increase cloud production. DTL devices can use coils with higher resistance, depending on their device.
- Airflow control: A larger mouthpiece that can be adjusted to increase or decrease throat impact.
- Intense Throttle Hit: Higher Wattages produce bigger clouds, a warmer vape, and a satisfying throat hit. The throat hit is important in vaping because it replicates the sensation smokers get when they smoke cigarettes.
- Lower Nicotine strength: A higher nicotine concentration is not required due to increased power. DTL vaping only requires 3 to 6 mg of nicotine. It is not recommended to use more than 12 mg of nicotine.
- Less flavor: Vaping DTL results in less flavor since the vapor directly reaches unsung. More air will result in a lower vapor density, which means less flavor. However, you’ll get more clouds. You can achieve a higher level of taste by adjusting wattage/temperature, limiting airflow, and experimenting with coil resistance.
Note: Increase the cloud production using higher VG, lower resistance coils, and increased airflow.
Note: The throat hit can be adjusted by increasing the wattage/temperature, decreasing airflow, or vaping a higher nicotine strength. It is also dependent on the flavor of the vape liquid.
DTL INHALER DEVICE EXAMPLES
- Box Mods
- Tube Mods
- Mechanical Mods (Not suitable for beginners)
MOUTH TO LIVER (MTL) Vs DIRECT LUNG VAPING
MOUTH TO LUNG DEVICES
- Less e-juice consumption
- High nicotine strength to reduce nicotine cravings
- The Premium e-Juice Flavors are designed to work with low-wattage devices
- Portable – easy to carry around
- Inhalation from the mouth mimics smoking
- Fast Charging
- User-friendly devices – great entry-level vaping device
- Lower wattages, tighter draw, and lower wattage result in a weaker throat hit.
- Battery life is shorter – must be charged more frequently
- Fewer features, inability to customize the experience
Direct Lung Inhalation Devices
- Cloud Production is Appreciable
- Find the sweet spot for intensifying flavor
- Strong throat blow
- Battery life is extended
- Personalize your experience with advanced features
- Longer charging time
- Bulky device, not as pocket-friendly MTL devices
- The learning curve for features is longer
- More refills are required for higher e-juice consumption
MTL OR DTL? Which one is best for you?
New vapers often choose MTL devices because of three reasons.
- Simplicity– the user-friendliness makes it easier to switch from smoking to vaping. For more information, please see our Vape Pods article.
- High Nicotine Content– Experts recommend 50 mg of nicotine for heavy users.
- Mouth-to-lung inhale — similar to the way you smoke a cigarette.
DTL devices offer greater flexibility but also a steeper learning curve. You might want to consider a Direct Lung Inhaler Device for the following reasons:
- The cloud chasers will love this device.
- You can create an MTL experience with devices that have variable wattage and airflow controls.
- Cloud production is greater, so the nicotine strength is reduced. More clouds = more nicotine consumption.
- Check out our article on the best starter kits for beginners to find some great sub-ohm vaping products!
Vaping devices come in different types. You decide which device is best for you. Understanding the differences between MTL and DL will help you choose the best widget for you!