You’re probably interested in how vaping products have evolved since the invention of the first electronic cigarette.
Vaping devices are improving rapidly to offer the ultimate vaping experience. The vaping market is expected to reach 50 billion dollars by 2025.
The Evolution of Vapor Devices
Vaping devices have improved continuously since 2003, when the first electronic cigarettes became commercially successful. They are now more efficient and effective. Vaping devices come in different forms, but the evolution of these devices is generally divided into generations.
How do vaping devices work?
You must understand the workings of these devices before we move on to the next step. To vaporize the e-liquid or juice, there are two components: battery and coil.
The battery is the most important part of the vaping gadget. It sends currents from the battery to the coil or atomizer. The atomizer/coil is a heating element that heats e-liquid by using electricity. No matter how sophisticated the device is, all vaping devices have these two components.
FIRST GENERATION CIG-A-LIKE
Hon Lik’s Ruyan electronic cigarette was a three-piece device: an atomizer and battery, as well as a flavor cartridge.
Umer Sheik and Tariq Sajeikh, who were able to see the growing vaping market in 2006, created a simpler device. It only had two pieces. The cartomizer was the name of this innovation. It did not use ultrasonic technology like the Ruyan. The cartomizer combines the flavor cartridge with the atomizer. The first e-cigarette that used a resistance wire wrapped around cotton.
Due to their similarity in appearance, the first-generation devices are known as cigar-likes. The term electronic cigarette was also born here. These cigarette-alikes are often found in places where cigarettes are sold. They are used to introduce smokers to vaping. The device is also available in a disposable or rechargeable version that is auto-draw, meaning that it produces vapor only when the user inhales.
SECOND GENERATION VAPE PEN
Second-generation vaping devices have a larger size than Cig-Alikes, and they are more powerful in two areas – battery and atomizer. These devices, which are commonly called vape pens, are used by people who are just starting with vaping. Vape pens were designed to improve upon the shortcomings of cigs-a-likes and create a better vaping experience. Vape pens had several unique features at the time.
- A button to turn the battery on/off is used as a firing mechanism. Remember, Cig-A-Likes do not have a control and are auto-fired when inhaled.
- The chip controls the maximum time you can strike the device. It usually doesn’t fire more than 10 seconds.
The Clearomizer was another feature not present in the cigarette.
- Clearomizer was a step up from cartomizers at the time. With a clearomizer, you can see the level of e-liquid in your tank. A unique feature of the clearomizer is the silica-wicking mechanism, which helps deliver the e-liquid to the heating coil.
- Top Clearomizers have long wicks that hang from the top of the tank to saturate e-liquid.
- Bottom clearomizers are designed with short wicks at the bottom to allow for better wicking. The bottom clearomizers permitted you to use your e-juice to the very bottom of the tank, unlike the top clearomizers that required the e-juice to touch the wick.
- The atomizer needed to be changed after a specific amount of time, depending on the frequency and usage. These coils had a resistance of 1.5 to 2.5 Ohms.
Third Generation (MODS).
Third-generation devices are known as Mods in the vaping community. Mods are short for modification, and the term originates from when vapers used to modify flashlights into vaping devices. You might be asking why you would change a flashlight. The answer is simple: more power, baby! Don’t worry; they don’t look like your 3rd-grade science project!! With the cig-a-like to the vape pens, mods are an improved version, which allows for more power and personalization. These devices are also called advanced personal vaping devices due to modern-day technology incorporated into these devices.
REGULATED VS UNREGULATED MODS
img alt=” Regulated mods vs. Unregulated mods: What is the difference?
You must understand the differences between regulated and unregulated mods before we move on to the specific features of the third-generation devices. Sub-ohm coils are used in both regulated and non-regulated mods of third-generation devices. Sub-ohm coils have a resistance of less than 1 ohm. Sub-ohm atomizers allow higher wattages, which means more vapor.
As a safety measure, mods that are regulated have a chip to control the electrical current. But anything that uses a battery is not 100% safe. Regulated Mods have variable voltages to increase or decrease power.
Mods that are not regulated do not contain a chip for overheating prevention. Unregulated mods, instead, are limited by coil resistance and the discretion of the user. Unregulated devices are known as mechanical mods. Beginners should not use Mechanical Mods as they require a good understanding of Ohm’s Law and electrical systems. It can even be dangerous if the batteries are pushed beyond their limits. Vapers will need to be careful when using mechanical mods if the device does not have a chip that regulates it. Mech mods consist of metal tubes that have a battery, atomizer, and a mech mod.
DISTINCT FEATURES OF DEVICES 3RD GENERATION
Here are some unique features found in Regulated Mods that are not found on previous-generation devices:
- A higher wattage will give you more battery power and allow your device to run more efficiently. It can also extend the battery life, depending on which voltage is used. The third generation of devices either have a removable or built-in battery.
- Variable Voltage and Wattage allow you to adjust the power of the device based on the resistance in your coil. A higher wattage will result in a hotter vape, which increases vapor production and e-liquid consumption. This feature gives users a greater degree of control in order to achieve the perfect vaping experience.
- Digital Display is another feature that distinguishes third-generation devices. Mod screens are a step in the direction of a smarter machine. They provide vapers with vital information, such as battery life and ohmmeters (what resistance coil is being used), puff counters, and temperature settings.
- Temperature Setting allows vapers to set a specific temperature for consistent vaping. This feature enables the user to adjust the power output in order to maintain a constant temperature. It also prevents dry hits. The temperature control coils are only made of nickel, titanium, and stainless steel.
- Sub-ohm tanks can be used with high-wattage devices. The lower the resistance, the higher the wattage. Tanks hold more liquid than older devices, and coils can be varied in resistance. Vaping technology has also advanced to give you more control of your vaping experience.
- Airflow Control allows users to control the throat hit. Vapers can adjust the throat hit by increasing airflow.
Vaping devices will continue evolving to meet consumer demands. Vaping devices will be more advanced and personalized. Let us know your first vape from back then!